Being a numbers guy, I want to share some stats about this blog:
3 years, 1 month: the amount time I’ve been blogging
457: the number of posts
123,300: the number of words written (enough for a decent sized book)
1,272: average number of posts viewed per week (the most was 2,954)
14,718: the number of views of my top read post
Some things I’ve observed:
- Posts receive most of their traffic within a week of being posted, but some are still being read a year or two later.
- Most traffic is not a result of followers, subscribers, or newsfeeds, but of search engines.
- Of traffic in a given week, most is not for recent posts but older posts.
- Despite all of the traffic, the Google ad to the right generates only a few pennies of income a month. (Google ads are worthwhile on my Websites, but they’ve been a bust on my blogs.)
- Soon after this blog was setup, I turned off the “track back” feature. Aside from never fully grasping it’s purpose, I was receiving thousands of spam track backs for every legitimate one.
- Recently, I also turned off the comment section. The ratio of spam comments to real comments has escalated, now being at over 100 to one.